top of page
What is the EUR1 form for?


If you are exporting a car or other vehicle from Switzerland to other European countries, you can use the EUR1 form to save on import customs duties in the destination country if certain conditions are met. Depending on the country, customs duties are eliminated entirely, or you can import the car at a reduced duty rate. The car must have been produced in an EU country and it must be exported to a country that has a free trade agreement with Switzerland. Switzerland currently has free trade agreements with the following European countries: Albania, North Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Norway, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Ukraine, and with the EU (EU27). The EU includes Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands (Holland), Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden and Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Cyprus.

Many of our customers sell or give away their cars to Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Albania. In some of these countries, customs duties are very high, so buying an EUR1 usually pays off even for a low value vehicle. Although it is possible in some countries to place a statement of origin on the invoice, while adhering to the individual value limits, we know from experience that customs authorities in many countries still ask for an EUR1 form when importing a car. To find out more about import regulations in the individual countries, it is best to contact customs in the destination country. Contacts for customs in the individual countries can be found here.

Here you will find contact information for customs offices abroad

Information to determine the country of origin

Find out if a EUR 1 can be issued for your vehicle

Can a EUR1 form be issued retrospectively?

Read this article if you accidentally already exported your car without EUR1

What is an edec export customs declaration?


With an edec export customs declaration, goods are registered with Swiss customs for export. Customs uses this declaration, among other things, to compile export and trade statistics. After creating the export declaration, you usually have 30 days to export your car. The barcode on the export declaration must be scanned by customs at the border.



What is a certificate of origin?


A certificate of origin shows where your vehicle has been produced. It is required when customs ask for proof that preferential customs treatment can be applied and that the conditions to issue an EUR1 are met. Customs do not always ask for this document. However, by law you must always be able to prove the origin of your car or other vehicle when using an EUR1. We therefore recommend you acquire a certificate of origin from the car manufacturer or obtain one from us.


Retrospective verification by Swiss or foreign customs authorities


For an EUR1 that has already been authenticated and stamped by Swiss customs, Swiss customs or the customs authorities in the country of import can ask you to show proof that the underlying conditions to issue an EUR1 have been met. Currently, Swiss customs can do that for up to three years after export of your car.

That the EUR1 has been issued righteously can be proven with a certificate of origin stating all conditions have been met to claim preferential customs treatment. Remember, it is the responsibility of the person or company who signs the EUR.1 document to make sure conditions to claim customs preference are met. If you no longer have the certificate of origin for your vehicle, we can usually obtain this for most car brands at additional cost, given your vehicle qualifies for preferential customs treatment and the manufacturer or importer of your vehicle still has the documents. Usually, we can organize certificates of origin for BMW, Ford, Jaguar, Bentley, Land Rover, Mercedes, Mini Cooper, Opel, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo, VW, Seat, Audi and Skoda. It is advisable to purchase the certificate of origin together with the EUR1 and the export declaration, even if this is not always required at the time of export.

If you imported your car into Switzerland yourself, or if you bought it from someone who imported it into Switzerland privately, you need the import documents from customs to prove the origin. In this case we cannot obtain a certificate of origin. Since the import was in many cases several years ago, many exporters find it difficult to obtain the import documents.


Is a Certificate of Origin and a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) the same?


No, it isn’t.  A Certificate of Conformity contains technical information about your vehicle. It is also called CoC. Among other things, this document facilitates the registration of vehicles in EU countries. The purpose of the certificate of origin, on the other hand, is to confirm where a vehicle has been manufactured. In connection to an EUR.1, the certificate of origin is the relevant document to prove to customs that preferential treatment applies to your vehicle.



How is the procedure at the border?


Upon export, present the edec export customs declaration together with the EUR1 and other export documents to Swiss customs. The edec will be scanned, and the movement certificate EUR1 will be authenticated by a Swiss customs officer at the border, given all conditions are met. Customs may also want to see an invoice and a certificate of origin, and sometimes other documents. Although this is not always the case, we recommend you carry these documents with you when you export your vehicle. The stamped EUR1 should be shown to customs in the destination country in order to avoid the duties payment. When exporting from Switzerland, customs may also require a transit document, also known as a T1. A security deposit must be left with customs for a transit document, which you will receive back once the transit procedure has been completed. The amount of the security can vary but is often around 30% to 50% of the value of the vehicle. Please note that our offer only includes the creation of the EUR 1 and the Swiss export declaration. Upon request and at additional costs, we can also issue T1 documents.

Was ist ein Ursprungszeugnis?
bottom of page